Posted in Uncategorized

Extra Mural – Something Special

Student as Producer is impacting outside as well as inside the University of Lincoln: on line and in the classroom.

On line

Student as Producer is viral, if not yet contagious. Student as Producer is  posted on the Finnish Wikiversity site. On this site, Student as Producer is posted alongside some of the leading protagonists in critical and progressive education, including Paulo Freire, Jaques Ranciere and  Ivan Illich.

Student as Producer can be found on the sites of some of the webs most prominent bloggers on higher education, including Glenn Rikowski’s  All that is Solid web site and  Stephen Downes’ blog.

Student as Producer has a presence on the websites of leading universities that are partners in the project. Warwick has established a Student as Producer fund as part of their newly created Institute for Advanced Teaching and Learning.

Student as Producer is discussed on   De Montfort University’s Learning Exchanges blog as  ‘Reflections on the Socio-Historical Moment of Technology in Education’. In this blogpost the principles that underlie Student as Producer are set alongside ideas generated by some of world leading critical theorists including  Slavoj Zizek and  John Holloway.

You can find Student as Producer on the University of Nottingham’s webpages. I recently gave a talk on the subject of Student as Producer to the University of Nottingham’s School of Education. A video recording of the talk can be found on the Learning Science Research Institute’s webpages.

Multiple references to Student as Producer can be found on Twitter – where it now has its own hashtag  #studentasproducer

In the Classroom

In classrooms and lecture theatres Student as Producer has been discussed at workshops and presentations. Most recently I gave a talk to a group of students at a conference organised by the Really Open University in Leeds. The title of the conference was ‘Re-imagining the University’.

I have accepted a number of invitations to make keynote addresses on Student as Producer at various  conferences, including the Standing Conference for the Head of Media Services ( SCOMS) at the University of Newcastle in May, as well as to a conference about improving quality in Teaching and Learning at De Montfort University in June 2011.

All of this, together with other work that the University is doing,  creates an awareness that something special is happening at Lincoln.

5 thoughts on “Extra Mural – Something Special

1. I must thank you for the efforts you have put in writing this blog.
    I am hoping to see the same high-grade content by you later on as well.

In fact, your creative writing abilities has encouraged me to get my
    very own site now 😉

2. Hmm it appears like your website ate my first comment (it was extremely long) so I guess I’ll just
    sum it up what I wrote and say, I’m thoroughly enjoying your blog.
    I too am an aspiring blog blogger but I’m still new
    to everything. Do you have any recommendations for beginner
    blog writers? I’d genuinely appreciate it.

3. Attractive section of content. I just stumbled upon your website and in accession capital to assert that I get in fact enjoyed account your blog posts.
    Anyway I will be subscribing to your augment and even I
    achievement you access consistently quickly.

4. Hello there! I know this is kinda off topic however ,
    I’d figured I’d ask. Would you be interested in trading links or maybe guest writing a blog article or vice-versa?
    My website addresses a lot of the same subjects as yours and I think we could greatly benefit from each other.
    If you might be interested feel free to send me an email.
    I look forward to hearing from you! Great blog by the way!